Turn the key of the 300 year old front door and Stone Cottage welcomes you like a long lost friend. You will arrive with plans to climb the fells seen from every window, or simply use its central position as a base to explore…however as you fall under its spell you will be tempted not to leave. Let the stresses of life slide away and curl up on the sumptuous velvet sofas and gaze at the views of waterfalls and mountains – or sip champagne on the terrace, take tea under the shade of the cherry tree – the choices are endless and you will want to return!
Painstakingly and respectfully refurbished, original features have been exposed and new additions thoughtfully chosen to create a truly beautiful cottage with a sense of history and a sense of place – and boy what a place!…there are few settings which capture the essence of Lakeland better than this.
Inside the Farrow and Ball paints and fabrics from Liberty, Margo Selby and Osborne & Little, complement the finest local materials and artist’s works. Understated and elegant, Stone Cottage really feels loved and indulged with details rarely found in other holiday homes and it is easy to see why guests return year after year to this idyllic spot.
– Panoramic views
– Secluded position
– 4 bedrooms: 2 kings and 2 single bedrooms (up to 2 children accepted) – Egyptian cotton linens
– 2 bathrooms ; one with double- ended bath the second with shower
– Large bespoke hand-painted kitchen with local green slate floor: AEG Induction cooker with dual steam oven, Neff dishwasher, large Meile fridge-freezer, microwave.
– Utility and drying area with washer/dryer and original stone sink
– Cosy dining room
– Large living room with window seats and open fire – logs provided and included in rental
– Sunny front garden with terrace and luxurious garden furniture and Gas BBQ (summer only)
– Large rear fell-side garden full of Spring flowers
– Wifi (5Mbps)
– Bose soundock, Large flat screen Sony TV with 4K ready Blue-ray player, SkyQ Box with entertainment pack
– Telephone with local, evening and weekend calls included
– Vodafone reception (partial)
– Full oil-fired central heating and oodles of hot water.
– Welcome pack with fresh flowers, Prosecco and homemade cake
– Pure Lakes handmade toiletries and White Company towels included
– Designer fabrics throughout with an accent on British designers: St Judes, Margo Selby, Jen Rowland and more
– Parking for 3 cars
– Sorry no pets
A luxuriously renovated character house which feels totally at home in it glorious surroundings. Thanks to the welcome, attention to detail and sound environmental policies of the owner Helen Griffiths, this is a self-catering property with the wow factor of a boutique hotel
England’s Northwest Tourism Awards 2007. Stone Cottage voted Self-Catering Holiday of the Year.
Here again at our ‘retreat’! Thank-you for having the access road widened and for the new handmade toiletries from here in Lakeland. One clear night Orion and Sirius appeared within touching distance outside the window! Stone Cottage is a dark sky observatory at night and a wildlife hide in the day. Loved the duck family each day in the field and all the bunnies in the garden.
Dave and Elaine – October 2019
Thank-you for sharing Stone Cottage with our family. You think of everything – and it is a joy to stay here. The cake and fizz were a wonderful welcome and delicious. This has to be one of the most sublime spots on earth. We have sat out on the gorgeous terrace and marvelled at the beauty of God’s green earth.
Fenandez family – August 2012 to 2019
Another wonderful week in this beautiful cottage. We have had a relaxing time watching the family of rabbits in the back garden – absolutely adorable. Not to forget the flycatchers above the front door. Thanks again Helen adn Richard for making our stay so special.
Gillian and Joyce – July 2019
This has to be one of the best positioned, best specified, best appointed and best equipped cottages in the county. Congratulations Helen and Richard, your hard work is greatly appreciated.
Julian and Rebecca – July 2019
Here again at our little Sanctuary of Stone Cottage. No noise, dark skies, springwater from the tap and Herdys from every window. Love the new fabrics in the dining room and of course “Misty” the hare. Thanks again Helen and Richard for maintaining the cottage so well. See you next year!
Dave and Elaine – October 2018
A brief skim of this (visitors’) book suggests that most visitors are regulars and this shows that where Stone Cottage and its wonderful proprietors are concerned: once bitten, smitten!
Oliver and Rosie – September 2010 to 2019