Tucked away in the charming hamlet of Hartsop, concealed behind a rugged Lakeland stone façade is Hart Barn – a remarkable contemporary living space where every element has been individually designed by us to create a romantic retreat just for two.
On entering the sleek, modern kitchen, a curved red wall guides you to the principle feature of the barn; a unique spiral staircase designed by Richard and constructed from polished oak railway sleepers and stainless steel. Lit from within, this glowing heart of the barn spirals upwards through three storeys revealing each room by turn. There are breathtaking views from the window seat in the first floor living room where a chic woodburning stove flickers by a glass table balanced on a sculpted root of a local oak tree. A hand blown glass chandelier cascades from the green oak vaulted roof above the serene galleried bedroom and who wouldn’t want to soak in the large freestanding bathtub after a long day yomping on the fells?
Design is central to everything….from the bespoke furniture and lighting to the choice of cutlery and glassware. Everything feels considered, nothing has been left to chance…it is the kind of place where you might just close the door and never want to leave…but then again, the mountains beckon…
– Galleried King bedroom – gorgeous White Company cotton bedlinen
– Bathroom with freestanding V&A bath, Starck fittings and corner shower
– First floor living room with lake and fell views
– Designer Woodburner (fire laid and logs included)
– Sony home cinema with Sky Q entertainment pack plus kitchen TV on multiroom. Bring your sign in and watch Netflix, stream Spotify and more.
– Wi-fi (superfast broadband)
– Landline telephone (UK calls included)
– Bose Soundock with bluetooth link
– Large dining kitchen with Neff appliances (integrated oven, microwave, fridge-freezer dishwasher, hob) and underfloor heating
– Drying/utility room with washer/dryer
– Private rear garden with table and chairs at first floor level and recliners on high-level terrace up a steep set of stone steps.
– Welcome pack with fresh flower arrangements, Prosecco and homemade cake
– Pure Lakes handmade toiletries and White Company towels included
– Parking space for 1 car immediately outside cottage in shared courtyard
– Honeymoon packages.
– Sorry no pets.
Our 10th Christmas at this wonderful special place. Leaving feeling relaxed and looking forward to next year. Thank-you to our perfect hosts.
Kate and Matthew – January 2020
What an amazing find Hart Barn is. Beautiful accomodation in stunning location. The prefect pre-Christmas retreat. Thanks Helen for the yummy carrot cake!
Andy and Becky – November 2019
Thanks again for a wonderful week. We’ve been here so many times, it just gets better. The weather may change often but Hart Barn is just fantastic.
Brian and Clare – October 2019
Our first stay in Hart Barn. So impressed with the cottage design, views and attention to detail.
Rob and Carole – May 2019
Sad to be leaving after an amazing 10 days at such a beautiful location. The barn is stunning and we were so grateful for our special honeymoon welcome.”
Tom and Natalie – July 2018
What a wonderful little house. Superbly renovated and we loved your meticulous attention to detail. We look forward to coming back.
Gordon and Andrea – February 2018
What a fabulous place to stay – you have thought of everything! Hart Barn is beautiful and we loved the arts/crafts inside it too. Fab walking right from the door….thanks for everything.
Judith and Dougie – August 2017
Hart Barn definitely has the “WOW” factor! Lovely place to stay and great cake too!
Lesley and Simon – August 2017
A chic romantic bolthole
Cool stays in The Lake District :The Times – June 2013
Refurbished by its architect owners, this contemporary barn sleeps two, has heated stone floors, a bathroom with Phillipe Starck fittings, woven scarlet textiles and walls hung with the work of Cumbrian artists and craftspeople.
Cool Cottages in Cumbria: The Guardian Feb 2013 – Cool Cottages in Cumbria
A romantic retreat. A contemporary and surprisingly spacious architect-designed holiday home. A modern ‘Arts and Crafts’ building in the spirit of William Morris – designed to be beautiful but also practical.
Cumbria Life Interiors Spring/Summer 2013